Tuesday, May 5, 2015

VINTAGE CAST IRON MAGICIAN COIN BANK



Old cast iron coin banks are hugely collectible. This one, the Magician Bank, is very well known to collectors. Although this one has been cleaned and painted black, it originally was hand painted in several different colors.





My old Mississippi State University roommate, Rubel Cowart, had this one on display in his house in Starkville for many years. I always admired it, and, when Rubel passed away last year, the executor of the estate, made aware by a mutual friend of both Rubel and myself that I had always coveted it, was kind enough to let me have it. I now have it prominently displayed in my apartment, where it will remain until I pass on and my children decide its fate.





These banks are highly valued by collectors. One in top-notch condition can bring $5,000 or more!



No comments: