Thursday, June 4, 2015

BRASS BAGGAGE OR LUGGAGE RAILROAD TAGS CHECKS FOBS

I've found that baggage or railroad tags are some of the most fascinating "finds" one can dig. Photos below are of some of those I've dug around Vicksburg over the years. Some folks have indicated that these tags were really watch fobs, and perhaps they could be put to such use. However, I do not believe they were originally intended as such.


This one is very interesting. It reads "VICKSBURG/HARLEM RR/L. SHORE RR/BELL RR LINE/ICRR/NOJ&GN/98/NEW YORK." I assume it was issued by New Orleans Jackson & Great Northern Railroad. Can the various railroad company names indicate a route for baggage? I don't think so. One wouldn't think there would be very many passengers for this very same route. However, perhaps it was commercially used for pieces of equipment manufactured at one point and always delivered to the same location elsewhere. Any ideas?



The infamous Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad issued this one. Though it's beat up, it is probably the only example I'll ever see.


I have not researched the Madrid House, but suppose it was a hotel where travelers might alight for a day or two while visiting Vicksburg.



At first I thought the "MS" meant "Mississippi," bur research indicated this tag was issued by Morgan's Louisiana & Texas Railroad & Steam Ship Company.


A Vicksburg "waystation" tag. "Way station" is defined as "a place where people can stop for rest, supplies, etc., during a long journey."


Another way station. This one I assume is Vicksburg & Meridian Railroad.


I guess this tag indicated that baggage was intended to be delivered to the English Kitchen in Vicksburg. I haven't heard of a restaurant named "English Kitchen," but this tag suggests there was one at one time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found a Vicksburg waystation tag number 296 this morning. Very cool