Wednesday, August 1, 2007

PHOTOS - Non-dug treasures 2

Native American "Sun God" pottery bowl


Anitkamnia calendar, 1898




The "Mad Potter," George Ohr, of Biloxi, Mississippi


WWII Nazi side cap



Cold Springs, Mississippi trade token



Cobalt poison bottle dug from a deep privy



Documents pertaining to the sale of slaves are very collectible, particularly those in which names and background information are included.


Post-war pinbacks and war-dated Louisiana hatpin and script "I" Confederate Infantry button, purchased at an out-of-the-way antique shop in Louisiana.





This doesn't look like a very rare collectible, does it? Yet it is. It's a rectangular telegraph insulator, and collectors pay big bucks for it. This one was bought out of a box from the trunk of a local's car.


Inside an old trunk I purchased from a local gentleman I found several turn-of-the-century "mardi gras editions" of a New Orleans newspaper. They featured full page layouts of all the floats in the parades for those particular years. It's amazing what collectors pay for these items.




This CDV (carte de viste, or "calling card") of John Wilkes Booth is signed. I haven't been able to ascertain whether or not the signature is his or not, but the very possibility is tantalizing - and the CDV came from a local family.



Buying and selling antiquarian books has been both profitable and fulfilling. It's surprising how many antiquarian and rare volumes exist in this town. I've bought and sold several first editions of "In and About Vicksburg," and have a fine collection of rare books related to Vicksburg and Mississippi.



I bought quite a few items from a local gentleman, including an old notebook in which had been pasted this Florida note and two similar others of different denominations. I carefully removed the notes from the book, a process that took several days of tedius work. After drying them, I photographed them and placed them for sale on eBay. The three notes sold for a tidy sum. I considered this one of my better purchases, since the notebook also contained some Confederate bills.



Turn-of-the-century oil-on-canvas painting of an indian chief. This one I purchased for a song at one of Floyd Kelly's auctions; I'm very proud of it.

No comments: